Skip to main content

"Bloodchild" Assessment

"Bloodchild" by Octavia Butler



  1. My first reaction to Octavia Butler’s  Bloodchild is a mix of interest and disgust. Using humans as a subservient society to the Tlic rather than having humans assert power over the aliens is a fresh twist on the usual sci-fi story. I’ve never read or watched a story that had humans as powerless as they are here- there’s no way for them to fight back, really. The human race has been completely taken over, and they’re generally okay with it, which is unsettling. It was an interesting read, that's for sure. Such a unique story gets the mind wondering about a world where humans aren't the superior species and don’t come out on top after an invasion, a concept far less explored in the sci-fi genre. The disgust I felt is, of course, for the humans’ role in the Tlics’ lives. Parasites are a big fear of mine personally, so reading a story where humans exist solely to be hosts to the worm-like children of the Tlic is absolutely terrifying and revolting. I cannot stand the mental image of having worms inside of you; ever since learning about tapeworms and the like in middle school biology, that concept has firmly taken hold as being a top fear. So, upon reading that humans were essentially raised to become hosts, I immediately hated the Tlic and the society Butler designed- which is the point. T'Gatoi is introduced as kind and generous, but the mother and Qui's hostility is a critical warning sign to the reader to not trust the Tlic. I had hoped that Gan's stand-off with T'Gatoi would have ended differently- maybe he does shoot her, or maybe he does something to thwart her plans to lay eggs that night- but I suppose that because even Gan could not escape the Tlic and his designated role, the society is even scarier.
  2. I connected to Qui and Gan the most in this story, which I feel is the intent of Octavia Butler. They bother bolster a fear of the implanting process and their powerlessness in the Preserve, and as I mentioned before I too fear everything about that parasitical concept. If I were in their situation, I'd definitely side with Qui. I wouldn't trust the Tlic, and while I don't think I would have run, I'd be looking for an out or a way to not get picked by the Tlic. I also related to Gan's need to protect his sister because I have a little sister myself. While I would despise being picked for such a disgusting process, I would rather sacrifice myself than assign the role to my sister. That protectiveness would trump my own revoltion. Of course, I say all of this as an outsider looking in; had I grown up with that family, I may not be as able to see the wrongness of it all. Nevertheless, I connect most with those two boys and their doubt and disgust in that society. I recently read “I Live With You” by Carol Emshwiller, a story about a woman named Nora whose life is controlled by a slinky, shadow person slowly meddling with her identity and lifestyle; both that story and Bloodchild make humans helpless. Neither Nora nor Gan have any control over their lives, a concept both terrifying and frustrating. The major difference, however, is that by the end of “I Live With You” Nora wins; Gan does not.
  3. If I were to adapt Bloodchild into a different medium, I think a podcast would be quite unique. The descriptions are strong enough to not need visuals (I wouldn’t want to watch Lomas’ procedure or Gan’s implantation, to be perfectly honest), and while the story works in its short format, there is enough material to stretch it on into a series of recordings. Each one could look into a different situation and point of view in the Preserve- one from the eyes of a Tlic, one from a N’Tlic, one from a human unclaimed perhaps. Butler’s writing relies a lot on dialogue, which would work well in podcast form. Bloodchild is too gory for an animated film, and live action would look like a typical sci-fi flick: creepy aliens, blood and guts, dystopian society. That isn’t a bad thing, per se, but if I wanted to make the story stand out, a podcast would be the way to go. Podcasts have been increasing in popularity in recent years, so now would be the perfect time to strike. The first episode would be this story, and I’d expand on the society in the rest. Or, to add some drama, I’d change the ending so that Gan did indeed revolt and progress from there with the story of change and revolution, another big topic in today’s entertainment industry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Urban Vermin

King Rat , a “New Weird” fantasy-horror novel by China Mieville, is quite the tale. The story is centered around a man who is half human, half rat that gets accused of killing his father. When King Rat comes to break the man - Saul - out of jail, Saul is introduced to a secret version of London, including monarch-based animal societies, a relentless pied piper, and a unique view of the city itself. With his superhuman abilities, or rather super- rat abilities, Saul usurps the throne from King Rat and helps the birds, rats, and spiders of London take down the malicious Piper. The story is simultaneously familiar and original. There’s the typical coming-of-age plot used when introducing Saul to the world of the rats mixed with a detective mystery from the point of view of Mr. Crowley. Old folktales and fables are recycled into new renditions of themselves, such as Anansi the Spider and the Pied Piper. However, mixing the worlds of fantastical animal societies with urban, Jungle music

Cabin in the Woods: The Ultimate Horror Movie Trope Compilation

What do you like in a horror movie? Zombies? Ancient rituals? Blood and gore? A comedic, Scooby-Doo style? Government dystopia? Ghosts? Mermaids? If you checked any of those off as a “yes,” then Cabin in the Woods is the movie for you. I wasn’t sure what exactly to expect when I first started this film, but it immediately grabbed me with its humor and kept my attention through its ridiculousness. Now, don’t get the wrong idea that this movie is all just goofy gimmicks. Cabin in the Woods definitely has its moments of terrifying thrills and chills. The film manages, however, to seamlessly blend the two genres - comedy and horror - by orchestrating the most over-the-top horror movie I’ve ever seen. The movie follows a group of five young adults vacationing at an old, isolated cabin in the woods. Great idea, right? Well, this particular cabin is controlled by an underground government organization that uses its library of horrible monsters to kill its guests as a sacrifice to appeas

College Killers - A Look into the Reasoning Behind the Young Ages of Classic Literature's Murderers

Victor Frankenstein, the now infamous mad scientist, creator of reanimation, and star of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein , is often imagined as a man in his late forties, using decades worth of knowledge and expertise to create his iconic monster. The real Victor Frankenstein, however, is merely a college student- a young, naive, and freshly independent college student. The idea of such a young man creating life and subsequently causing multiple murders because of it seems like a unique idea for a story, yet a college student committing a murder is the same plot of two other novels: Fyodor Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment and Donna Tartt's The Secret History . All three of these books deal with a similar story involving a college student committing (or indirectly causing, in Frankenstein's case) a murder of someone they know personally. The murderer proceeds to fall ill, isolate themselves, undergo serious mental torment over the guilt, feel the urge to confess, and even