Skip to main content

The Next 50 Years

Ever since the turn of the century, technological advancement has skyrocketed. Even in my own short 19 years of life, I have seen technology go from the simplest cellphone sans touchscreen and chunky computers to face recognition on Iphones and Virtual Reality as an available college major. If we continue at this pace, the next 50 years are sure to be full of giant technological leaps for mankind.
I predict that by 2028, holographic imaging will have changed exponentially. Rather than using a touchscreen to communicate, holograms and VR-like screens will be used a la Tony Stark’s tech. We’re about to break the mold of the IPhone already. Google Glass will have been adapted into a more practical form, but no matter what I think it’ll become mainstream. Entertainment will be venturing deep into VR. By 2038, robots will have most likely taken over the workforce, causing a crisis for employment. This will effect the topics of films, books, and social media as people scramble to decide how to proceed in a technology-based world. Like in many movies and books, body modifications are predicted to become mainstream, and I wholly agree. Hair knows no bounds in 2018, and by 2048 we will be able to do pretty much anything. Fashion will be avant-garde and androgynous, and gender and sexuality as a spectrum will be widely accepted and understood. I think 2058 will mark the creation of flying cars, and by 2068 they will have been adapted into the world.
Personally, I have bright plans for my future. Ten years from now, I plan to be working as a storyboard artist at Pixar. I will have worked my way up through the animation pipeline, clocking in hours and hours to make the next generation of fantastic films. By 2038, my admittedly sky high goal is to have attended the Oscars for a film I helped create. I don’t need to win, but to attend because of a nomination is the dream come true. I’ll hopefully have a family and a happy home life, and my career will be on steady course upwards. By 2048, thirty years from now, I want to have worked my way all the way up, possibly working at a level similar to John Lasseter. I’d love to publish a YA book as well, and by then I should have done so. Then, at the end of the next fifty years, I’ll have retired joyfully and satisfied in life, having left an impact in the animation industry.
If future 70 year old me could talk to the me of today, I’d tell myself to work hard, harder than I’ve ever worked before. Everything I want in life relies on my ability to work hard and practice self discipline. No more procrastination. Always be making art. Always be connecting with industry professionals. Don’t be afraid to share your ideas, and while you should take pride in them, be open to criticism. It’s pretty cliche career advice, but it’s the most important advice I can give myself. And, of course, through it all find time to be happy. Never lose your optimism. I try to always see the bright side of life, and it makes every day so much more enjoyable when you have hope for the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Urban Vermin

King Rat , a “New Weird” fantasy-horror novel by China Mieville, is quite the tale. The story is centered around a man who is half human, half rat that gets accused of killing his father. When King Rat comes to break the man - Saul - out of jail, Saul is introduced to a secret version of London, including monarch-based animal societies, a relentless pied piper, and a unique view of the city itself. With his superhuman abilities, or rather super- rat abilities, Saul usurps the throne from King Rat and helps the birds, rats, and spiders of London take down the malicious Piper. The story is simultaneously familiar and original. There’s the typical coming-of-age plot used when introducing Saul to the world of the rats mixed with a detective mystery from the point of view of Mr. Crowley. Old folktales and fables are recycled into new renditions of themselves, such as Anansi the Spider and the Pied Piper. However, mixing the worlds of fantastical animal societies with urban, Jungle music

College Killers - A Look into the Reasoning Behind the Young Ages of Classic Literature's Murderers

Victor Frankenstein, the now infamous mad scientist, creator of reanimation, and star of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein , is often imagined as a man in his late forties, using decades worth of knowledge and expertise to create his iconic monster. The real Victor Frankenstein, however, is merely a college student- a young, naive, and freshly independent college student. The idea of such a young man creating life and subsequently causing multiple murders because of it seems like a unique idea for a story, yet a college student committing a murder is the same plot of two other novels: Fyodor Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment and Donna Tartt's The Secret History . All three of these books deal with a similar story involving a college student committing (or indirectly causing, in Frankenstein's case) a murder of someone they know personally. The murderer proceeds to fall ill, isolate themselves, undergo serious mental torment over the guilt, feel the urge to confess, and even

Cabin in the Woods: The Ultimate Horror Movie Trope Compilation

What do you like in a horror movie? Zombies? Ancient rituals? Blood and gore? A comedic, Scooby-Doo style? Government dystopia? Ghosts? Mermaids? If you checked any of those off as a “yes,” then Cabin in the Woods is the movie for you. I wasn’t sure what exactly to expect when I first started this film, but it immediately grabbed me with its humor and kept my attention through its ridiculousness. Now, don’t get the wrong idea that this movie is all just goofy gimmicks. Cabin in the Woods definitely has its moments of terrifying thrills and chills. The film manages, however, to seamlessly blend the two genres - comedy and horror - by orchestrating the most over-the-top horror movie I’ve ever seen. The movie follows a group of five young adults vacationing at an old, isolated cabin in the woods. Great idea, right? Well, this particular cabin is controlled by an underground government organization that uses its library of horrible monsters to kill its guests as a sacrifice to appeas